Saturday, June 20, 2009

Diving, Devil Birds


Being good neighbors and all, we choose to tend to the property behind our backyard that is owned by the developer of our neighborhood. If we didn't, no one would and I like it looking somewhat decent. The property itself is unbuildable with a box culvert that you can see by the photos.

Recently, Tyler has been complaining that he doesn't like to mow this area because he's under attack by birds. We didn't believe him at first, but we soon realized that four birds must be protecting their nests and Tyler poses as a threat to them. Tyler refused to mow the back area until we provided him with some protection, so we gave him an old bicycle helmet. NOW, he'll wear the darn thing! Go figure! However, it is quite entertaining to watch him mow as they swoop down at his head. You can see one of the birds in the second picture on the far right side. They are fast and furious, making photographing them nearly impossible. I am guessing they are barn swallows. Andy thinks some kind of finch. Whatever they are...they don't find us friendly!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

We had divebombing bluebirds one year in our nestbox. I love the helmet!! I think they are swallows- they are famous for diving.

mamahasspoken said...

Hehehe I like the helmet too. When I first saw the pictures I was wondering why he had on a helmet. Won't tell you what was going on in my mind.....