Monday, August 23, 2010

My Zucchini is Bigger than Yours

This morning I received the coolest gift ever....
One very large zucchini from one darling little boy.

You see, transitioning into kindergarten is a tough deal (maybe even tougher on the parent). This child, we'll call him Raymond, didn't want to go to Mrs. Broeker's class today and Mom gave Raymond a zucchini to distract him. This very smart mom told him that it was critical to give me this zucchini. Poor Raymond did come in sobbing, carrying this massive veggie in his arms, which made for the most precious gesture I've seen in a long time. The zucchini trick did make the crying stop after I asked more questions than necessary about zucchini. (Do you like zucchini? Can I really keep it? What should I make with zucchini? Do I eat it raw?...you get the idea)

Check out it's impressive size! I could make several foods with this beast, not that I know how to. So please send any delicious zucchini recipes my way.

Forgive my laziness tonight, I'm just way too tired to blog about the Iowa State Fair and upload multiple pictures. I'm just going to stare at my mammoth sized zucchini and think about tomorrow's day.

Maybe it will be rhubarb?

12 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

WOW! That is a huge zucchini! I don't eat much of it. I have breaded it and fried it just like you would do mushrooms or onion rings. Zucchini bread? Have ate it but never made it. Maybe make a great gourd bird house out of it, or is zucchini a gourd?
Whatever you do with it, good luck, and I'm sure you'll be sharing with friends, family and neighbors.

Trisha said...

A blog just for you

http://tylickadventures.blogspot.com/

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I think that's a great strategy for helping him transition into his day. You're awesome.

I had one that size earlier this month. I cut it up and grated it in the food processor and then froze it, 2 cups to a bag. We can have fresh zucchini bread/brownies all winter.

Amy said...

Mamma--I think we're going to try zucchini brownies first. We did get 5 cups out of it.

Mindee--That's exactly what we did last night with ours, except made 1 cup bags. Bummer, I wanted to have the biggest! ;)

Trisha-- Thank you, I'll keep looking for recipes.

Saimi said...

I bet Google has a million ideas on what you can do with Zucchini. What a sweet gift!

Have a good day tomorrow!

Teachinfourth said...

Now that was a cool idea on the first day of school…

Hope your future days with your little munchkins are full of awesomeness.

Zucchini brownies, perchance?

Teachinfourth said...

Well, that's what I'd make…and then a loaf of bread as well.

Good stuff.

Connie said...

What a great gift! That first day of school is hard on these young ones! Smart mom, smart teacher to keep him distracted with it!

We make zucchini texas sheet cake that is moist and delicious! You can go to my niece's blog to get my recipe.

Hope you have a wonderful first week of school!
http://grandmasdesserts.blogspot.com/2009/09/chocolate-zucchini-oh-wait-brownies.html

Tracey said...

Oh Amy! I just love that little guy. He is so sweet and I can just imagine his face as he brought it to you. Awww!
Now you have to make some zucchini bread or muffins to share. :)

Sarah said...

if you ever need my recipe for chocolate zucchini bread...let me know:)

Sandra said...

Bring on the zucchini bread! and teh fried zucchini! And the grilled zucchini!...for the week!

Anonymous said...

I recognize that zucchini! If you want another, we have plenty and we can skip the middle man or in the case....kindergartener.